The City of Worcester, in partnership with ArtsWorcester and the Arts District Task Force, sought to create an urban design and economic development road map for the revitalization of a half-mile stretch of Main Street between the civic center and Clark University.
The students explored:
· How a master plan can create a new arts district and provide a home for artists and cultural activities
· What buildings are appropriate for arts and cultural uses
· How redevelopment can occur without pricing artists out of the district
· How the image of the area can change through programming of spaces and activities, and attracting new activities and institutions
· How the district can put Worcester “on the map” to enable it to compete regionally for artists and disposable income