The City of Jacksonville, in partnership with the Cultural Council of Greater Jacksonville and Downtown Vision, Inc., sought to use the arts as a real estate development catalyst to revitalize the historic downtown.
The students explored:
· If a downtown of over 20 city-owned vacant buildings and numerous privately-owned structures can be transformed through arts-related redevelopment
· If there is a market for artist work or live/work space in the downtown
· How this initiative can best serve the vibrant culture of the region
· What the best redevelopment scenarios and which buildings provide the maximum impact to leverage limited resources in order to kick start private development would be
· What partners can ensure the success of the initiative and how can they be brought on board