In an online article for Directions Magazine, DUSP Geographic Specialist Mike Foster describes "The Lost Art of Critical Map Reading." Using examples pulled from around the web, he offers five simple habits that will improve map reading abilities, including:
- Read all textual components and prose on the map carefully
- Learn as much as possible about the data being shown on the map
- Note that everything on a map can be considered data
- Be aware of what the map is NOT saying
- Notice that graphic representation and color encode bias and implied meaning
To read the whole article, click here.