The department is pleased to announce the winners of the 2013 Excellence in Public Service Award:
- Kira Intrator: For the past year, Kira has been based in Mumbai and working as an Associate Consultant at Dalberg Global Development Advisors, where she led the research and production of two key reports for the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and the World Bank. She interviewed program directors and governmental officials in Bangladesh, New Delhi, and Nepal on improved clean cookstove design and subsidy structures to capture best practices. (Kira's award is profiled in a recent post to the Dalberg blog.)
- James Madden: Since graduating DUSP in 2010, James played a significant role in leading two high-impact efforts to improve communities with affordable housing. In his current position as project manager with The Community Builders, Inc., he was responsible for structuring, writing, and submitting the application for a $29.5 million HUD Choice Neighborhood Implementation Grant. Prior to this position, he worked as Field Coordinator for the Campaign to Protect the Affordable Housing Law in Massachusetts (No on #2), helping to preserve the state's "Chapter 40B" legislation.
The Fund for Excellence in Public Service was established to assist and encourage graduates from the Master in City Planning (MCP) program to pursue public service careers. The Excellence in Public Service Awards, as the Fund’s first initiative, is designed to advance three purposes:
- Recognize outstanding public service achievements by recent MCP graduates
- Provide inspiration and encouragement to other DUSP students, DUSP alumni/ae, and others to pursue public service careers
- Provide a financial award to help offset debt incurred to obtain an MCP degree
Since 1999, the Fund has awarded over $150,000 in grants to help support graduates working in nonprofit and public sector planning. This year's winners each received $10,000 to help reduce outstanding debt incurred to obtain a MCP degree. To learn more and help support the fund, see MIT Giving.